Friday, September 23, 2005

Plato


Yes, you heard me correctly. Plato. Now I know as well as anyone that I'm not even close to worthy of having his name leave my lips.

The son of wealthy and influential Athenian parents. The man who traveled to Egypt and Italy to study with students of Pythagoras. Finally the philosopher that returned to Athens and established his own school of philosophy at the academy. For students enrolled there, Plato tried both to pass on the heritage of a Socraic style of thinking and to guide their progress through the mathematical learning to the achievement of abstract philosophical truth...whew! (yeah, whatever!)

Plato

(handsome devil)



Heck NO I didn't know that, I looked it up. (the internet baby, the internet!) I have no knowledge of him or his kind, I'm simple. Oh sure I suppose on occasion I'm capable of an in depth conversation. When it's regarding a subject I feel passionate about and usually only with some people. I will not be spotted regularly in the deep end, I much prefer the mental kiddy pool. I guess what I'm trying to say is in order to get inside my head you are not going to have to strap on any scuba tanks, you following me?

Today on the way home from school I thought I'd get Mina the ever nutritious Happy Meal. Naturally, the thing she was must concerned with was the prize and who wouldn't be they are always so marvelous. Now home with lunch done my participation was requested to play house with her and her little friends. Of course I oblige the queen of everything and get down on the floor to play, I got to be Daddy. She was Mommy AND baby but that goes without saying. Suddenly it occurred to her, the Happy Meal prize, where was it? Mommy, she says "we have to, HAVE TO find it. It could be our pet, it's Plato!" Oh, have mercy. I said "it's Plato, huh? Lets see." Sure enough I tear open the little plastic bag and there he was, our pet, Pluto.

Pluto

(much cuter!)

Now this is more like it, someone/thing I can identify with and understand. I tried explaining to my angel faced girl that his name was Pluto not Plato. She got it once and then it was back to being the great philosopher.

The thing I find so funny is that I have NEVER studied him, knew about him, discussed him or even once thought about him. Yet in the last week he has been discussed once with a girlfriend and mentioned twice, one time by the same girlfriend and the other my daughter. Hm, you think it could be a SIGN?!?!

"How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?"

-Plato

Man, you see why I stay in the kiddy pool?


Happy Birthday Swee, love you!

7 Comments:

Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

I'm a fan of both Plato and Pluto, though one might say "one in the same!" LOL.

btw, are we really awake? or is blogworld all just a dream?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Now THAT is a good question, lol!

8:19 PM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

When Baby Girl got Goofy - I said -'Oh look Baby Girl - you got Goofy!"

and she said - in all seriousness....

"Momma that's not nice... call him silly!"

Who knows what she was thinking?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Christie... said...

at least you go in the water! lol

3:13 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

plato, pluto.....tomatoes, tomatos...LOL..i remember starting to read some of his stuff once- it was like a highscool project or something- waaaay over my head!! lol

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! In law school they teach with the "socratic" method. Supposedly Mr. S believed that the knowledge of the world lies within us we just have to realize it. This is why in law school they just keep asking you questinos that you dont know the answer to expecting you to find it in yourself. Very silly. sheesh:) Give me pluto any day!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Hm. Anonymous is me... dont know how that happened. oh well.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter