Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Don't point, it's not polite

Well of course we know that but exactly how clear is it to a four year old little girl who observes everything and tells just as much. This past weekend the kids and I were at some friends place of business visiting, chatting, shopping all the important things. As people milled around looking, I sat back with Lynn to solved all the worlds problems when up walks this woman. With her alone, there was really nothing wrong, it was her selection of attire she was donning that I was having trouble with. I was thinking "what make people wear things that are at least two sizes too SMALL" I mean are there not mirrors in theirs homes? Do they not look before leaving and if they do, WHAT is it that they see? I' m certain that parts of her body were slowly loosing circulation, they had to be. Just then Lynn actually voices my thoughts and to make matters worse Mina began pointing at the very same woman, lol! Quickly I scoop Mina into my arms and whisper to her not to point because it isn't polite. Lynn has her face buried in her hands saying "Oh my, we must teach her to talk about people without being detected." Mina so innocently wanted to tell me that this lovely young woman looked like a girl that attends church with us. Without pointing she begins to describe the woman she is looking at and who she looks like. It was a very difficult task. Her arms were everywhere trying not to point and say "See, her right there with the brown thing on and that black strap." Poor girl, it was torture.

It is up to us more experienced women to pass along the ins and outs of public criticisms. Teaching our younger generation of girls how to observe, comment, (even if critical) and make verbal corrections of our subjects in one smooth sequences of moves. Smiling all the while of course.

It could be devastating should it be left to the men. Later that evening honey the kids and myself were out and on the spur of the moment decided to stop in at one of the local fast food dives for a bite. While dining on our feast of grease wrapped in tortillas that were disguised to be healthy with a pile of lettuce and tomatoes Mina's radar goes off. Up flies the finger in the direction of a women that again reminded her of someone. (I personally didn't see the resemblance this time) With a quick look in her direction she puts her finger down and trys to describe the woman once again.

Have no fear, the expert has stepped in....DADDY! Oh man here we go. The king of subtlety and smooth moves has spoken so everyone listen up. He begins by telling Michael and Mina that it's not polite to point, I agreed. He then tells them that if they want to point someone out they should use a quick tip or nod of their head and their eyes in the direction they want us to look. OK, I agree with that too BUT they are six and four! Michael says like this, as he begins swinging his head so violently I thought he'd hurt himself. Daddy, tells him "yeah, like that!" Being proud that he did "it" right he tells Mina that she has to point with her head. Her response was "na UH!" I totally agreed with Mina, Na UH! I said "yes Michael, point with your head NOT flail around like you are having some sort a seizure that causes your eyes to roll back in your head" They will be looking at YOU if your not careful.

Mina's biggest concern was "Mommy what if you miss it?' I told her that it would be ok that sometimes I'll miss the things that she sees. Not at all happy with that answer I can see it won't be long before she has the sequence of moves perfected and ready for use. Poor Michael, we may have to just allow him to point.


"Hospitality is making your guests feel at home, even if you wish they were."

-Author Unknown

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen Spedowfski-Martin said...

This is so funny! My sons are hopeless about talking about people too. They are point-blank and frank with everything they say. I've tried to show them but they aren't picking up on it. And my husband just laughs (he at least hides his face) when this happens!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Christie... said...

Oh the innocence! I wish they could keep the honesty for a little longer. Come on admit it, sometime you want to point too!

2:53 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

Oh man, I have so much to look forward too!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

LOL- i have the same problem with my 4 yr old, if its not the complete honesty lik, "mom, look she is FAT!"- it's pointing at someone, point blank in full view of the poor victim..lol it's hard to explain discretion to a 4 yr old, that meaning simply does not exist in their vocab...lol

7:19 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

ps..hope u don't mind i linked u so i don't forget to come here. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Ha-freakin'-larious!!!! I LOVE that your hubby is trying to get the head nod across to kids who can barely remember to use their indoor voices most of the time...cute!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter