Saturday, July 02, 2005

What IS IT they are trying to sell?!?

Commercials at the very least are annoying and are disliked by most TV watchers. However, they are necessary. If we want to continue having this type of entertainment piped into our homes and keep all those highly paid executives in their current positions then we need those nagging little interruptions.

That is not the part that bothers me though. The part that I just can’t seem to get into my head is that I have to watch the entire commercial in order to find out what it is they are advertising. There is no indication at all in the beginning of the commercial of what product they will be talking about. Worse yet the person in the commercial is doing or saying NOTHING that is at all related. I have sat intentionally in front of the TV just to look at commercials and a large part of them are exactly that way……I just don’t get it.


What ever happened to “Madge” the nice lady that was actually washing dishing to advertise for Palmolive dishwashing soap? Not only did it make me want to buy the soap because it was going to “leave my hands feeling soft.” I wanted her in my kitchen doing the dishes.

Then there was Buster Brown and his faithful little dog friend. He was plastered all over the shoe store and on the actual shoe. So there was not doubt about what he was selling.


One of my favorites of all time, Mr. Owl! The wise little fella who wanted to know “how many licks it would take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?” He was holding the lollipop so again no question of what he wanted you to buy.

I don’t know about the rest of you but whenever I think of “Madge”, Buster or Mr. Owl I remember exactly what product they were connected too. More than I can say for any of the commercials today.

The one that comes to mind at the moment is a commercial with Paris Hilton. PLEASE!!!! She is in a black bathing suit with a tub of soapy water washing some expensive car. She is climbing all over the car lathering herself and the car in a very seductive manner. OK, if you have seen it then you know what the commercial is for. If not, try to guess. Was she trying to sell you the bathing suit, the expensive car, some soap product……what? Give up?!? A Hardee’s hamburger!! Can you believe that? A hamburger. AND you don’t know that until the very end of the commercial, how aggravating. I’ll tell you that Ad no more makes me want to buy a burger from Hardee’s then it does make me want to by the car or take a bath.

The one thing is does point out is just where our society is and that people will do ANYTHING to make a buck. I know things have been this way for sometime and I’m not that naive that I don’t know “sex sell.” It's all very sad if you ask me. I ‘m just waiting for the day that my daughter who is four to ask me "what is that girl on TV doing? Taking a bath? If you know Mina you know she will be asking……LOL!

Next time you are in front of what I’m quickly beginning to think really is the “idiot box” pay attention to what they are showing in between what they are showing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter