Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Sending a woman, to do a mans job

I'm headed for the construction site and I'm completely uninformed. I have no idea why I'm there OR what I should be asking. Still, I'm there.

See, we have cleared a little bit of the wooded area around our house and would very much like to plant grass. This will give us a tremendous yard. (just what we need, more to mow. That is another blog) Before we are able to do this, we need some fill dirt and top soil brought in. This is where I come in. Apparently, land clearing and excavating is my forte'. Honey tells me to go and see what's up with all the dirt that is there on this construction site. Reluctantly, I agree but know exactly what is going to happen.

This is how it went:

I go to a construction trailer to find out what, where, who and how. I'm walked outside, then pointed in the direction I must go. Back in the truck and I'm off through this maze of madness.
I flag down a truck driver (put my shirt back on) and proceed to question.


Me: How can I get you guys to bring some of that stuff to my house?

Guy #1: Hang on just a minute. (he gets on the radio and guy #2 shows up)

Me: I need some of that dirt brought to my house. How can I make that happen?

Guy #2: What do you need, top soil or fill dirt?

Me: Don't know.

Guy #2: How much of it are you going to need?

Me: Don't know.

I explain the best I can, what I think we need. Guy #2 listens kindly then directs me to yet another trailer. This time, it's a trailer but nobody is there. Wait. I hear voices. I get closer to where they were coming from and suddenly felt nervous. Apparently, she was having some family/marital problems and was venting to the boss man. I'm outside the door thinking, Man, I shouldn't be hearing all this. I have to let them know I'm out here, CRAP! I wanted to scream, shut up in there, I'm right outside your door. I don't do that, instead I decide to knock on the door. (I'm already inside the freakin' trailer and I'm knocking on the door!) Yes, the exterior door because I didn't want them to know that I was inside and heard what they were saying. No answer but they did get quiet. I knocked again only harder, and pretended that I was just walking IN. Finanlly. Boss man cracks the door, I make my inquiry and he sending me to, yes, another trailer. Freak. So, I try again, and like they say, the third time is a charm. I'm there!

Now, I'm talking to some chick who shouldn't be there. Anyway I speak to her:

Me: I'm here to see about getting some dirt delivered to my house. Can you help me?

Chick: Ah, yeah. What do you need?

Me: Don't know.

Chick: How much do you need? Do you know?

Me: NO! (rolling my eyes)

Chick: Are you in the city limits?

Me: No. (I did know that one)

She takes our name and number, then tells me someone will be getting back to us. (yeah right!)
Crap, now I have to call honey with the wealth of information that I DIDN'T collect. So, here goes:

Me: Hey honey.

Honey: Hey babe, what did they say?

Me: They said they have dirt.

Honey: LOL! How much do they want for it?

Me: Don't know.

Honey: What do you mean you don't know?

Me: Just what I said, I DON'T KNOW! I don't even know WHAT we need or HOW much. (my voice becoming elevated)

Honey: Well, can we get it there?

Me: I guess. They took your name and number and said they will be calling you.

Honey: Ok, that's all they said?

Me: Well, yeah! That's all they said, NOTHING! (except for Missy, she thinks her husband is a scumbag)

Honey: Alright, love you bye!

Me: K, love you bye!

Now, not only did I waste my entire afternoon. I was also shone in a light of complete and utter ignorance, WHY? Me. I, go down there and talk about something I know nothing about. I try to gather information but have no idea what questions I should be asking. Then when I'm asked something I have to say "I don't know." But because I'm such a dutiful wife, I do it, and I do it with a smile. (on the inside I'm cussin' a blue streak)

Next time I will demand a Q&A form be filled out and signed. If honey can't see his way clear to do that then, "Do it your dang self!"


"Man is made for something better than disturbing dirt."

-Oscar Wilde

9 Comments:

Blogger Aud*2020 said...

What a rat race! Sounds like some conversations I've had with college officials regarding classes and financial aid. Can't they just bring some dirt and call it a day? Geesh.

10:00 PM  
Blogger The Daily Rant said...

Sounds *EXACTLY* like my search for a flatbed trailer!!!!

Now you know the trauma I deal with all the freakin' time!

XOXO

10:52 PM  
Blogger Christie... said...

Well now I know what and where to go to get information. The telephone directory! LOL

3:48 AM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Ranter~
I was thinking of you during the entire episode, LOL!!

It's just NOT right.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

my goodness... well,the quote on the end was absolutely perfect.... bless your heart, how stressful...

5:41 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

OMG - I am glad I wasn't you- but you probably wanted topsoil - as you are gonna want grass to grow...but that is also more expensive. oh well.. Good luck! But seriously - how hard would it have been for the construction guy to put a couple of scoops of dirt in a truck - and dump it in your back yard... MEN!

7:29 AM  
Blogger LizzieDaisy said...

That's so funny. I have so many similar stories as I'm married to an Engineer with no time on his hands. How many times have I been sent on an errand to do something that I am not qualified to do with no information? WAY too many... :)

Way to go sticking it through and without taking anyone's head off afterward! :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

yeah- let your honey talk to them- somehow it seems like you get those types of things done if a man called. of course it shouldn't be that way! but go figure...

5:43 PM  
Blogger Norman said...

shoot chicky! I talk about stuff all day long and never know what the hell I'm talking about either!

norman

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter