Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What was I doing again?

So it starts. Another school year is under way as of this morning. Only this year it's a little bit different. Mina started Kindergarten and Michael being a big second grader decides he's going to have an alarm clock and get up on his own. I'm thinking, "this I've got to see!"

So, an alarm clock was placed on his toy stacks just across from him bed. We make sure to set it for 6:20a, then he's off to sleep. Well, this morning I'm up a 5:15a. I shower, dress, get coffee on, spend a few minutes in devotions and finish up some last minute paperwork for the kids first day when I heard it. The shrilling beep, screaming from Michaels room. I peek in, there isn't the slightest stir and I think, "my gosh, he's like his father, he needs a rocket launched under his bed to wake up." I leave it screaming, walk to the end of the hall and wait.

I hear commotion coming from his room several minutes later, then a figure emerges and appears in the hall. Looking one direction, than the other before he spots me. He squints and says, "what was I doing again? It's dark out, why am I up?" Ok, now I'm cracking up and approaching my lost and completely confused boy. He's still unsure what to do and I decide the kid is sleeping on his feet. Finally, he looks at me with some recognition and says, "man Mommy, the clock is so loud, I didn't know what it was....Then I looked outside, it was dark, I didn't hear anyone up and didn't know why I was up."

The poor kid had a days work before he even realized he was awake!

19 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Poor baby. So early in life to hate alarm clocks. :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

*giggle* ... that's funny !! Poor kid, though !
Hope everyone survived the first day back in school.
Have a wonderful week.
Take care, meow

8:13 PM  
Blogger Lala's world said...

oh man!! he sounds like me in the morning!! I am dreading back to school time and I have about 3 weeks to go!!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my - how big they are both getting- good luck on the first day- i can hear them now when they get home- they will be chatting away about there first day- are we volunteering again this year- they already have me at open house today- and working wed/thurs/and friday- i will be glad to be backon some kind of schedule/ but i will be hating life when my ALARM goes off tomorrow- have a greadt day- beth

5:16 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Yeah, we tried an alarm clock too at one point, and it didn't work. My kids were like your hubby though; they just slept right through it.

6:34 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

He is like me I wake up confused when the alarm goes off. First week of school is very exciting!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

LOL! What a riot! I guess that is the reason, my mom didn't even attempt to do this until I was in high school

8:53 AM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Hi this is TC's Prince Charming here, and this reminded me on a time when I was in University.

I had gone to bed at about eleven, but I had set my alarm clock for 1:45am because I was expecting a late night phone call from a friend overseas. I placed the alarm clock about eight feet away from my bed so that I would have to actually wake up and get out of bed to turn it off (y'know, instead of reaching out blindly with one arm and slapping the off button without actually waking up.)

Anyway, something came up and myy friend didn't get a chance to call that night, and it's a good thing too. At 7:30 the next morning I woke up and looked over to see why my alarm clock hadn't gone off... and saw that at precisely 1:45am the clock had been knocked apart and the batteries yanked out... and the best part is, I don't remember doing it. :o)

It seems to me that your son could be a similar sort of person, and do something like this with no recollection of it after the fact. But as long as Mom is waiting in the hallway, I'm sure things will work out just fine. :o)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Laney said...

LOL! That's funny. I still feel like that, and I am going to be 35!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

LOL. Yeah I agree with Laney... that feelin doesnt go away....

3:29 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

OMG, that's exactly how I wake up, seriously. At 30.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

So today was Mina's first day of school!? How did it go...for both of you?

My son starts this year as well.

School goes back in early for you. Ours doesn't begin again until the second week of Sept.! (give me strength).

5:53 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

OMG that is how pan wakes up - where am I? why am I up - why isn't the sun up? I thought it was just him - that is priceless...the poor guy!

Hope you have a great 1st week of school!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Froggie Mama said...

ha! ha! Cute story! Sounds like my house... the rocket-launching part! You can hear my hubby's alarm down the block... but he doesn't stir a bit!

Your poor guy was confused, but good for him for getting up anyway!! Hope he's enjoying his 1st week of school! :)

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how funny...so are you keeping the alarm clock...or are you going to resume your position as the alarm clock?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Oh no, I'm keeping it as long as he continues to stumble out of bed to get it, LOL!!

I know, mean, mean Mommy!! :):)

2:11 PM  
Blogger hi, it's me! melissa c said...

You're killing me! That is so good. Poor boy, it's the beginning of the end from here on out! By the way, How do YOU make yourself get up so dang early???? I've tried it before and decided My kids sanity is more important! (I'm too grouchy if I don't get enough sleep!)

10:36 AM  
Blogger The Daily Rant said...

I have been there and seen BOTH of your kids sleep through noises that would wake the dead!!! I can't even believe he got out of BED!! Remember the night with the roto-rooter man - inches from his doorway????

Oh, and I can't believe you even have TC's Prince Charming commenting!!!! :)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I would feel the same way if the sun wasn't up yet.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter