Friday, September 30, 2005

Repeat after me

I read on a fellow blogger's site a post that was written about her kids and things they say and mispronounce. It made me recall something that Mina said once. (please, I should have been writing these down long ago, there are so many) I mean between the two I can see I will be arming them with pocket Websters. I'll tell you those nuts didn't roll far from that bush.

I am not a teacher and I will NEVER be a teacher. I hope my kids do well in the school system that is here because there is NOWAY I would home school. They will either tough it out or it could be possible to have them be drop-outs by time they are 8 and 6. My patients when it comes to that is nonexistent. Doing their little home work assignments is enough to make me start measuring the length of rope I will need as to NOT hit the floor, but I digress.

I thought that it would be a great idea to start teaching the kids the Lord's prayer. I learned it when I was young, although I have no recollection of the event. It seems that that is just something that everyone knows for one reason or another and I thought my kids should know it too. I decided that each night at bedtime I would have them begin saying it. I carefully explained to them that I would say a part, then they were to repeat what I said. They understood and it seemed as though it would be easy enough.

First night lesson one. We are all sitting in the bed, me in the middle with Michael on one side and Mina on the other. "Ok, are you ready?" I asked them. Oh yes they were ready so I begin. "Our Father who art in heaven........" and they repeated. Things were moving right along, a nice steady pace and the clarity, amazing. Then it happen. The part that caused the class to come screeching to a halt. If you recall in that prayer there is a part that says "...and deliver us from evil" I say it slowly and what I thought was clearly and wait from them to repeat. When they do I hear Mina say "....and deliver us from Nemo!" THAT'S IT! Class dismissed! I laughed and laughed and LAUGHED! I couldn't go any further. The serious moment had past and there was no recapturing it, gone. Neither one of them had any idea what was so funny and I just couldn't get it together enough to explain.

I have yet to dabble back in that pool of learning but I will return one day soon. In all fairness to my little student, Nemo was at the time the main attraction in the house so I could see her confusion.





Now I ask you, does this fella look like we need delivering from? I mean just look at that face. I guess really it depends on how many times it's been run through the VCR!

"It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it."

-Marlin

8 Comments:

Blogger momma of 2 said...

LOL... your kids crack me up - deliver us from Nemo... LOL

7:58 PM  
Blogger Norman said...

TAG! YOU'RE IT!

NORMAN.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how funny - remember when grandma A use to say our prays with us in norweign - there was one part we all use to wait for - then laugh histerically at- we use to say the lords prayer at the end- what we remeber as kids!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Too funny.

My Little Princess sometimes says stuff to me when I am trying to be serious and impart some very important lesson that a 3 year old needs to know and then my mouth starts to wiggle, my eyes start to flash and if she laughs back at me, I am gone, serious moment has passed and lesson gone unlearned as mommy collapses in a heap of laughing me

6:44 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

LOL- i agree with the whole not having patients for homework- my oldest just started Kindergarden and she has homework everyday- I know its just the beginning...I can handle the letter practicing but math? I already did my time, why again? lol Have a great weekend. :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Kids say the cutest thing...homework blues...I certainly had them...so glad that my daughter is a senior in high school and she works along but I am already going the empty nest syndrome and she isn't even gone...missed the homework days

7:08 PM  
Blogger Aud*2020 said...

Awww!!! That is so funny! My little boy runs around yelling for "Nemo!!!" all the time. We won him a 5 foot Nemo this summer and he loves to run across the room and flop on him.

That's awesome that you've taught him the Lord's prayer. We have been trying to decide how soon we should try to start that with our son. He's not yet 2, so I don't know that he'd sit still long enough, but we plan on teaching it to him.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Aisha said...

I laughed till I had tears in my eyes! It takes a gifted writer to makes word spring to life with humor! :)

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter