Friday, February 09, 2007

It could be a long wait

Not to long ago I was in the company of a young man that I know, but not very well. We were in a social setting and began talking. He is a very nice guy, attractive, in his early thirties and a partner in a local business.

The conversation was easy and comfortable, the weather, business, sports.....blah, blah blah! Then some how we got on the subject of relationships. He asked and I told, yes I'm married and have been with my husband for 16 years, we have two children our son Michael and our daughter Mina and again......blah, blah blah. Now it's my turn. Are you married? He answers no. Do you have a girlfriend? Again, the answer is no. Do you ever hope to be married? His answer, "Oh yes!! I'm just waiting." So now I have to ask, "for what?" His answer, "A virgin!" I know I was looking at him blankly when I said, "oooooooooh, I see."

I wasn't quite sure what to do next. Giggle and wish him the very best of luck on his search, throw my arms around him in pity and inform him he could be in for a life of loneliness or just remind him he was over thirty, in the year 2007 and was living in the United States. Actually, I did none of the above, I think I went back to the weather, that's always safe.

I'm not at all suggesting there aren't any girls or guys for that matter out there that are saving themselves for marriage. Or that some of you that are already married didn't do exactly that. And I do think it's sad that it's such a rarity these days. I feel it's something that should be guarded and preserved unfortunately it's not.

I'm just thankful that wasn't a prerequisite for me to get down the aisle. (whew)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is unfortunate that it's such a rarity these days...however, I DO know a few who have been able to hold off for the time being (one of them is actually 27, and has never even been kissed!) So they are out there, you just have to look harder. Too bad we live so far apart, we could've set them up. ; )

1:09 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Wow... It's great to have standards, and expectations, but uhm, yeah, so... it's been a little colder than normal here, and we have quite a bit of snow, how about you?

7:46 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It's good idea to stick to the weather. yup.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

Yeah, if that is the condition these days, I'll be waiting a long long time.

On the other hand, I'll be great at talking about the weather.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would he go for a pseudo virgin? You know one that THINKS they are still a virgin? That seems to be the trend these days. I did, but it don't count!
I actually had a friend that was 31 and he too was waiting for a virgin, someone "untouched" as I think he referred to "it". This was over 10 years ago and he has now been married for 10 years. I never asked!
Miss ya,
Christie

5:58 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Hmmm...you are nicer than me. I would have had to ask him had he saved himself??

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter