Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The next time...

....You feel your own children are out of control or you just can't handle another moment with them, I recommend you sit in a classroom with a half dozen students all of which have various disabilities. That is where I was today. More than two were mildly autistic, one was in a wheel chair and completely dependent on his care giver......Today that was me. I fed him, changed him, played on the floor with him and sat next to him while he napped. Along with managing the rest of the students in a classroom setting and in the hallways. A challenging task but well worth my time.

So the next time you feel at your wits end, stop, look at your children, thank God for their good health and tell them just how proud you are of them.

It scares me to think these little ones in the long run may one day be lost!

8 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

I've worked in classrooms like that. I think it changes your perspectve completely. Its sad to say that the suffering of another makes one feel grateful about their own lfe as in realizing to be thankful, but we do it owe it to them to not complain.... its the least we can do. Bless you for helping them... I interned in a class like that as a student teacher and I have a mad amount of respect for teachers who work with these children, it takes a lot of emotional and physical exertion to work with these special children, those who can earn 100% of my utmost respect.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

How great that you had the opportunity to help, and took advantage of it.
I do try to remind myself how blessed my family is. Thanks for reminding me here.

7:09 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

You are right we are truly blessed. God also put these special children here to be a blessing as well. What a great opportunity to help.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, what a lesson! Thanks for sharing.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya! What a wonderful thing you are doing.

And what a blessing they have for having you there.

I'm sure they had a blast with you!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Thank you for that: what a great reminder!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I know exactly what you're saying, and think along those lines everytime I catch up with one of my friends who has twin profoundly disabled children. They are 9 years old, but simply babies. It makes me feel so very lucky, and greatful for the amazing child I have.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great weekend.
Take care, Meow

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. It is good sometimes to remember just how lucky we are.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter