Monday, January 15, 2007

How you know it's love

I've heard it said, "I just love what I do!" Hm, I sometimes wonder if it's true love for what they are doing or are there other factors that bleed into the reason for their love. Such as, great pay, a kicking retirement plan, time shares, a cute boss, lots of vacation time, 7 minutes from home. All these, granted are positive reasons for finding what you do acceptable or even enjoyable, but are they reason enough to use that four letter word? If all those things were taken away, how would you feel about what you are doing?

This week I discovered true love. Outside of course being a wife and mother, which is my first love, I found where I truly belong.......in a classroom. A classroom full of first graders with raised hands, second graders with their show and tell items, and Kindergarteners that all need help with backward "b's" and their shoelaces. For me, it's an incredible place to be. I had the privilege of working in two other buildings besides mine this week as a substitute. Now we all know this occupation comes with none of the above mentioned perks. On top of that, it makes for a bit of a hectic morning at times and I do it for next to nothing.

But you want to know a secret? I would do it for nothing, and that is how I know it's love!

10 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

That's AWESOME!!!
Teaching provides a million rewards.
xo
Cathy

5:09 PM  
Blogger Christie... said...

Like I said before, when your name is spoken by God, He says "Teacher". I am so glad you love it and have found it! Now I'll never see you on Tuesdays!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Ok. Im not even joking when I say that athis post just made my day. Seriously. ?I am so glad you are doing this and so glad you are finding joy in it. I also never noticed the time going, and forget that I actually got paid to do this. I loved it and would do it for free too. It really is loving what you do. these days I really really really miss it. Part of me thinks I might go back sooner than I thought.

Good for you, and please dont get annoyed with what Im about to say but it comes from a good place: I really hope what you are doing gives you an itch to have a classroom all of your own with children you work with from start to finish. I really hope someday you will become a teacher!!!!

But I must say that I have a had a number of substitute teachers who have stayed firm in my memory for the kindness and warmth they displayed. An some continued to come to the same classes year after year and I developed relationships with them.

But you knew I had to throw it in there :)

Congratulations!!!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

good for you! that is great- i wish i would love my job as much. ;)

12:27 PM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

My husband LOVES being a teacher.

He dislikes some of the parents of the seniors he's teaching, but otherwise he loves it!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you- I think it's rare for people to actually find what you have found.

9:55 PM  
Blogger hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I think that is so wonderful. I love it when I volunteer in my kids class rooms. Just giving my time feels so rewarding.

Kids are awesome! I love kids too. I thought of being a teacher but have never done it. Kuddos to you!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

How wonderful. I used to want to be a teacher, when I was a kid. It must be such a fulfilling job.
Hope your weekend is going well.
Take care, MEow

1:58 AM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

My sisters love their students and it's because of them that they show up every day for work.

I am glad that you enjoy working with the kids - we need more teachers like that out there!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See....you are SO LIKE DIANA!!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter