Monday, November 06, 2006

Jiffy, without the LUBE!

It was time. Three thousand miles, time to have my stick pulled, oil changed and joints greased. Boy, that almost sounds like it could have been fun. Instead, it was a nightmare.

Like the rest of the world (that I know anyway) I whip into Jiffy Lube and ask for the basis change. Not needing anything to fancy and certainly don't want my oil coated little friends, climbing all over the inside of my car to vacuum it. So, it's just a quick change for me. Or so I thought. I hand an oil additive to the service tech and asked him to please put it in along with the oil. I have the kids with me, we're talking and laughing, so I'm not paying all that much attention. It's the normal, "turn you engine on. OK, now turn it off." They do their yelling of "Check, check, check....Blah, blah, blah." I never understand what they are saying and after today I'm convinced they don't either.

I pay. I'm off. The kids requested McDonald's for lunch, so we head in for a couple Happy Meals. Lunch is over, we are now on the way home. Well, by the time we arrive home, my truck sounds like there are loose rocks rattling around in the engine. I get out, pull my dip stick.........It's DRY!! Bone, desert DRY!!! OMGosh! I saw him pour in the additive, but where was the oil? I did say, put this in ALONG WITH the oil, NOT instead of. I calmly call the store, "Hi, I was just there for an oil change, remember, the burgundy suburban......Well, I'm calling because I'd love to know, WHERE IS MY OIL?!" The service tech on the other end, stuttered a bit, then asked me to hold on. When he finally returned to the phone, he went on the explain that he thought there was some sort of miscommunication. I said, " Oh REALLY?!" "You don' t SAY!"

My young Jiffy friend assured me he would have someone right out to deliver oil to me. Well, they finally arrive with what I needed, poured it in and while holding my breath started the engine. It sounded fine. No more rocks, whew.

I thank him, while he continued to apologize.

It was a very frustrating and anxiety filled afternoon. I asked him to please double check next time before he screams "Check!"

10 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

OH MY GOSH! I would be livid. LIVID! I would have reamed them a new one. sheesh!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Most of the time they just charge ya, and don't really do anything (leave the old oil in etc). Glad no harm was caused to your vehicle. I would be livid.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

OMG ... you are lucky there was no (expensive) damage done to your engine. I'd be furious ... guess you won't be going back there again !?!?!?
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! I'm glad you were able to figure it out- knowing me, I would've gone too long with out the oil and ruined the whole thing...

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't that do damage to your engine? You should have a mechanic check it and talk to the manager at the Jiffy Lube. They owe you a few free services, I think!

8:16 AM  
Blogger The Daily Rant said...

I just checked with one of my very experienced "mechanic type" friends and they said, "Man, she is F***ED. Do you know how much damage is done to an engine that runs without oil???? Even for a short distance?? All those RPM's and driving that distance with no oil?? She needs to have that thing checked out by her mechanic ASAP!"

Maybe you shouldn't be so happy that you don't hear the rocks anymore and get your patootie over to a qualified mechanic right away and have that checked out. You might get a new Suburban out of all this - courtesy of Jiffy Lube!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Rant...Not to worry, it's all under control. But thanks for the concern.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

They could have totally killed your car. Wow.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kinda scary--you could have handed him anything and who knows what he would have put in there? Wow again!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

He better have offered you free oil changes for LIFE!!!!!!! I would have demanded it. That is so scary. I'm the sort that wouldnt know to check. Wow. What a scary experience.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter