Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The weight of money

Why? Why is what we do measured by money for it's worth? Why in ordered for what we do to be considered important, we must be paid handsomely for it? Certainly, it 's nice to be compensated for our efforts in the form of money, I'm just not sure why it has to be the primary driving force behind what we do. What happen to passion, compassion, love of what we do and truly understanding why we do it?

Inquiring minds want to know, what is wrong with these people that are in professions and positions to make ridiculous sums of money, such as doctors, lawyers athlete's etc and don't. Why does the doctor open a free clinic for women's health care or does the lawyer pass up a pestigious well paying position to work on behalf of children or why would a pro ball player give up his career to coach peewee football for inner city kids.

The answer to my first question is, absolutely nothing and the second, is because there is true passion for what they are doing. They see right past the money, to the need......Wow, how refreshing. The saddest thing is that most of society actually frowns on this type of behavior, like, "How could you? You have the ability to make big money, yet you choose not to! MY GOSH!!"

Personally, I believe there is so much more to life than seeing just how much money one can put in the bank. I also believe that money is not at all our greatest reward. A very smart and insightful person told me not to long ago....."I think in some ways it takes a stronger person to fight the pressure and stay true to yourself." And there, I believe is where we will find our richest reward.

18 Comments:

Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Agreed - it is harder to be true to yourself...great post.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

So true, I work in the financial and insurance industry and all I ever hear is money, money, money...people hiding it, wanting it, scared to lose it....I grew up with none and never knew it until I was old enough to realize it. But the reason I never knew as a kid, is because we were happy without it.

8:22 PM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

One of my heroes is a man in my husband's graduating class.

He is a talented football player. HUGE. Teams were trying to draft him out of high school but he told them he wanted a college education. He went to a religious university fitting with his beliefs and majored in mathematics. He played college ball. When graduation was imminent he was courted again by pro football, to the point of being offered millions of dollars in his contract.

He didn't just turn them down once...he turned them down three times.

Why? Playing football didn't fit into his religious or moral beliefs. He didn't think it was right to play on a day reserved for worship. He wanted to be a teacher because he saw a need for math teachers. He wanted to mentor kids.

His refusal made national news.

I got to talk to him at my husband's 20th reunion two weeks ago. I told him how much I admired him and how his influence with those kids he teaches is worth so much more than what he turned down. He just grinned. He knew that all along.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

So true. It's so nice to hear about people entering certain fields because of the moral desire to do so, regardless of the money. But, unfortunately, it's rare.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

What a great thought provoking post! And so true.!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see this all the time as well... it's an epidemic....
My sisters and I lament all the time that we are born in the wrong era.... Gone are the days when people swaped skills and we all worked together.
*sigh*
Good thinkin' post for me today. THanks,

11:56 AM  
Blogger Finelly said...

That quote is so true! Unfortunately, it can be very hard to live by. Sometimes the pressures break us down, and in turn we give in to them.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree completely. It does seem though that the middle section of working people should be paid more money for what they do whether it is professional, service, retail. It is so hard for some to make it on these salaries. Especially when the specialized professionals are getting paid outrageous amounts for what they do. It is so unfortunate.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Aisha said...

haha you are preaching to the choir here, but yes I agree with you. And you know its hard though. Its hard to shake that guilty feeling. People hear I am becoming a lawyer and they assume I'll be banking a bunch. And I wont be if I get to do what I dream of doing. Yet that is the hardest part for me. Part of me feels guilty that I'm not doing what everyone around me is doing with their careers. Its difficult.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sista!! It's unfortunate that this isn't talked about more often- it's such a big issue that many are either unwilling to look at, or just plain old unaware of.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Laney said...

Oh, I know. It kills me that basketball players make more money than librarians!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I totally agree.
Hope you have a great week.
Take care, Meow

4:15 AM  
Blogger Priyank Gupta said...

I don't rem who said it [and neither am I pulling in a effort to google it out] yet here it goes..

"It's as foolish to disregard the value of money, as to make it the purpose of life!" :)

9:47 AM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

It's true, money is nothing but a number. (I tell myself this now as I'm desperately trying to get myself out of debt, but it keeps finding me!)

And I'd have to say most doctors don't go into medicine for the money (at least not the ones who stick through medical school, internships, residencies, and fellowships).

good post!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

@Tom, yeah money is certainly valuable. You gotta eat :) But the value we place on it is a bit lopsided and sometimes (more often than not) overshadows all else.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi momyblogR, how's life? hope it's all OK over there.

just drop by once in a while to disturb u lol*

p/s: im still retired lol*

12:07 AM  
Blogger Bee Amma said...

oh poo, i just dropped you a comment and it disappeared!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

long time no post :)

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter