Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Words: Allies or Enemies?

Why is it, the greatness that is seen in others, by others, is so hard for those people to see for themselves? Regardless of their confidence level, when told of a wonderful gift they may posses, a beautiful physical attribute, an ability or a certain unique quality they have, it's so hard for the holder of these things to see.

Why is it, the one or two negative things said are always the things that resound in our heads? Why do we allow these things to encourage us to form such a low opinion of ourselves, to mold us? Even if they are words that were spoken to us a children, we remember and for some ridiculous reason hold on to them. It is because they are easier to believe? It is because the people that uttered these scaring words were our parents or other elders that we were to trust and respect? I personally, have for my entire life have be encouraged by my parents. I was told, I could do anything, that I was doing great when I was and encouraged and coached to do better in the areas I may have struggled in. I was never put down, belittled or made to feel inferior regardless of was I was doing. I was ALWAYS lifted up and even today at age 40, still am.

There are so many adults, and children alike that are suffering the consequence of ill spoken words by people in very important postions...Parents, teachers, coaches etc. It saddens me to see these that were affected, struggle to find their self worth, self esteem , the wonderful qualities that are so apparent to others, all because they were never encouraged in a positive way in a positive direction.

I guess my point here is...."If you don't have anything nice to say, than say nothing at all!"

You may never know how what you say will impact someone who just might have been listening.


"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being."

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

13 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Great post! I think my childhood was pretty good, but if you'd ask me to write down every unkind word I can remember anyone saying to me I could write a book. If I remember anything, I most certainly remember the mean things kids and teachers said to me growing up. It would be nice to forget.

Thanks for the important reminder of how to treat people.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

great post - and as always well written. Words can be very hurtfull thing - who knew something so small could leave a mark so deep.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Great advice. Something I constantly remind myself (and my kids) of often

8:28 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

I once learned in a seminar that it takes seven good words to combat 1 bad word. So if a child is told a bad thing and never told something positive, then you see the toll on them.

"Words will never hurt me" was such a lie.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

you are so lucky to have had encoragement from your parents. that was not the case with me.

i grew up with verbal and mental abuse from my mother who was mentally unstable and an unfit mother. it took many years of pain to figure out that i was better than what she portrayed me to be. and it is very scaring. i am so careful with what i say to my girls because it is true, they will always remember.

when you are a child, your parents, your teachers are your heroes. they look up to you. you are teaching and molding them into the human being they will become later in life.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Laney said...

Every morning I get on my knees and pray that God will place a guard over my mouth so that I will be an encouragement to my children.

Great post!

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always remember that words that are spoken and fall on the ear of someone can NEVER be taken back. The saying "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me." That is NOT true. Words can kill the spirit and dam the soul.--- Good blog honey

3:46 AM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Great post, and great advice. Thank you.
Take care, Meow

3:52 AM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

My friend and I were talking about this just the other day. While we were catering, we got TONS of positive feedback--from EVERYONE. Yet what did we remember? The one rude guy (in a crowd of 500!) He ruined it for us, but why? Why do we let those things get to us??

if you ever find the answer to that question, PLEASE let me know!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our society encourages us to see the bad before the good. Esp. when it comes to personal qualities. It is so much easier to believe the worst and instead of the best.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Reminds me of that passage in James, about how the tongue has the power to set the world on fire. Good post.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post!!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Lala's world said...

great post! reminds me of how much a farce the old saying is "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" what a lie that is.
we were always taught the power of words.
Life and death are in the power of the tongue...that's pretty huge!

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter