Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Reading....It's not good for everyone!


OMGosh, for the past two weeks, aside from being ridiculously busy with the kids and their end of the year school activities and finding a few good books to read, I've been extremely neglectful. With everything. Laundry has gotten piled up, which is a NEVER for me, the fridge is barren, the kitchen has had a "closed" sign on it for a week or so now, and yes, my blogging.

Evening is the best time to lose myself in the pages. I was given this book by a friend but was upset that she spent $21.00 on it. But I thought, "Hm, since I have it, I'll read it carefully and have her return it." Sad, I know but I did it anyway. When she brought the book back the woman behind the counter said, "I bet I know why you are bringing this back." My girlfriend *gulped* and said, "You do?" It turns out the young author had plagiarized. The book was fine but I was all impressed that such a young girl had written it. Boy, who woulda thunk it? I guess I'm pretty easily impressed. :):)

This is what I'm reading now. I held off reading it because all the controversy but finally broke down. It is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I swear, it never leaves my hand. This is what is causing things like this to be said around my house...."Mommy, I have no sock", "I'm hungry, when are we going to eat?" and finally, "WHAT are we going to eat?" So you see, although reading is good, it's not good for everyone.

19 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

I just blogged about the "Opal Metha" book and I bought it because of the controversy and by then it was out of print so i paid *blushing in shame as I am a student living off one income* forty dollars. *gulp* How was it??!? I havent gotten it yet.

Da Vinci... I read that in one night. VEry painful night, I read it till 6am!!! I just coulnd't put it down!!!! I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Btw exams are finaly over and this friday I'm planning to make the eggplant!!!! :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I agree; the Da Vinci Code is a great book and another equally great one is Jonathan Harr's The Lost Painting.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Have been wanting to read Da Vinci... need to get to the library.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Norman said...

OMG. The DaVinci Code is one of my new all-time favs!! I plan on seeing the movie the day it comes out!! WEEEEE!!

You also need to read Of Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. THAT was pretty good too!

norm

8:35 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

God, I look forward to getting my attention span to read again. Good for you.

9:54 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

I haven't read The Da Vinci Code yet. I am reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It is pretty good.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

A good book can also make me neglect the 'little necessities in life'...ie laundry, groceries, cooking. Enjoy the book.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I've been wanting to read The DaVinci Code. Let us know what you think.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Lala's world said...

I get like that when I read too.....I get lost in them so I haven't picked one up for awhile!

I haven't read the DaVinci code either....don't know if I will.....or see the movie.....as far as I know it is pretty much being read as fact when it fact it is fiction.
I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

1:56 PM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

I'm not much of a reader. I don't think that I've read much since high school. I've gotten myself way too busy. I'm into knitting tho. I can do that while I do other things. Or listen to homework. I love buying books for my kids tho. I kind of push them on them. My daughter loves to read. She has read so many teen type books.
All those other projects and jobs will be there when you get back. Life is too short, you need to enjoy yourself once in a while.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

i love reading. but yeah, you need time for it, and specially if its a good book, i wouldn't like to put it down either!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Readers are Leaders and Leaders are Readers

8:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Readers are Leaders and Leaders are Readers

8:39 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I easily lose myself in a good book, and forget that the world is still turning around me.
The Davinci Code is an amazing book. I couldn't put it down either. Can't wait to see the movie.
Take care, Meow

10:06 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

reading is a beautiful thing. The author for "How Opal..." was accused of plagiarism ('literary identity theft') although you do mimic who you read, as apparently she had done. I feel for her and know what that is like. My vocabulary becomes quite extensive aka. Hoity-toity, after reading any Jane Austen. hehe.

If you are interested you can find the story of the incident here.

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Code is a good book I listend to it on cd and enjoyed it very much.
I am reading Shiver by Lisa Jackson you might like that as well.

7:24 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Yeah, I couldn't out the Da Vinci code down myself either...even with all the controversy about it, the author just really knows how to spin a good tale. Enjoy your reading: )

11:41 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Oops, I ment 'put' instead of 'out'...hee hee hee (sheepish grin)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I know what you mean. Jason and I spent most of April totally immersed in the first six Harry Potter books. We had such bad withdrawals when we finished them that we went out and got everything Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) ever wrote. Hopefully we'll get back to more grown-up literature after this. At least we'll be able to better guide the kids through them four or five years from now, when they're ready to read them.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter