Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Man, you SUCK!

Those were the warm and encouraging words, I heard shouted by a father to his eight year old son while playing frisbee. I was chasing my own frisbee that got away and looked up to see who exactly it was that sucked. It was a sweet young man that I knew quite well from school. This kid is kind, well spoken, generous and extremely polite and I couldn't believe his father would say such a thing.

Apparently, Jimmy was having trouble flipping his wrist when releasing the frisbee causing it to fly wildly. After it was thrown his father shouts, "Man, you SUCK!" I mean really, he told him at least twice how to do it and showed him once....surely he should have it by now. Again, I was tearing across the field after my frisbee that was flying out of control and heard Jimmy say, "I DO suck!" I was SO upset that I shouted back, "Jimmy, you don't suck you just need a little practice....we all have to practice at thing we want to get better at!" I was staring right at is father as I told him to, "stay at it, you'll get there."

What I really wanted to do was walk straight up to him and tell him that HE was the only one that SUCKED!

Why do some fathers take such pleasure in beating their sons into the ground?

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."

-Author Unknown

18 Comments:

Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I'll tell - him - Dad/Father figure - YOU SUCK!

What's sad is this Dad has no idea what he did...all this kid is going to remember is that he 'sucks' and he can't even play frisbee, and that if he can't do that - he can't do anything...thanks for telling him to stick with it, that he'd get it!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Are you sure he wasn't kidding? If he wasn't, he is a prick. That is another reason why I hate people.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Tammy..He wasn't kidding. He was WAY ticked off at his son for not "getting it"

And I agree...he is what you said he was for that!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

OMG, that is just horrible. What a wrong thing for a father to be saying to a child. Parenting is all about encouragement, not belittling. I can't believe he was saying such things, even in jest (which this obviously was not). What sort of a message is that giving to poor Jimmy ?? Poor kid. His father SUCKS big time.
Take care, Meow

9:16 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

Good for you for saying something! I am generally not quite so brave but I love people who are! I will bet Jimmy appreciated your words!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your quote on this one is really good. And, good for you for encouraging the kid. :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

that is so sad. you really should have put him in his place, IN FRONT of his son!!

10:12 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

The dad sucks. If my husband did that I would rip him a new one. There is no excuse for that.

Good for you for saying something!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

OMG, what is wrong with people?? I could never look my son in the eye and tell him that... makes me sad inside.

7:19 AM  
Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

You really have to wonder WTF is up with some people!! Why tell me why do these people have children?? I can't dream of telling one of mine that. Do I get upset at them from time to time sure. But I belive each one is a gift and treat them as such.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

Good freak. I agree with the others. No excuse for that kind of behavior, and I am glad you said something.

I too, love the quote.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you said something too. What a jerk.


I also love the quote!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Apparently, the father hasn't passed the mental maturity age of a 9th grader.
Good for you for putting him in his place.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

glad you have the guts to say that....I normal don't say stuff because I try to avoid confrontation of any kind. I'm so glad that Dan's not into sports...that way if the kids play sports he'll probably think..."wow, I could never do that!" :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

It's so sickening the way guys get about their kids and sports. It's gotten so that they have to lay out behavior contracts with the parents before they can sign their kids up for little league. Bleh!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

If he gets at him like that just for playing Frisbee, just imagine he says and does with other things. :(

5:19 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Good for you for praising him, and especially in front of his father. Hopefully they will both learn from this!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Argh! I hate that. Recently, I have been thinking about this topic. Your praise probably meant a lot to him - good job!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter