Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oh thank God, it's not just my two

There they were, Mutt and Jeff. Two little kindergartener's standing in the doorway of the office, lost. I asked them where they should be and like any well informed student of that age they said, "we don't know." I laughed at myself for even asking such a question and decided to help them find the rest of their class. How they became separated from the rest of the group is beyond me. There is only about 5-6 thousand of these little guys in the kindergarten team.

We head down the hall, just us three on our great search. Talking, giggling and just plain having fun in the moment. (oh, to be FIVE again) As we pass each "specials" room ( music, gym etc.) My new friend Mutt, would peek in the door window to see what he could see. We arrive at the end of the hall were the Art room is located with Mrs. Routolo. Mutt glances in the window and I asked him "is your class in there?" He smiles big and says "No. This is Mrs. Retardos class, where we have Art." Hoo-LEE COW! Well, I come unglued with laughter and didn't know what else to do but kneel down and give him the biggest squeeze. This came immediately following my taking off his shirt and turning it around the right way. Mutt, what a sweet boy. You just gotta love these guys.

We locate the rest of the 5 thousand assembled in an empty classroom for a program. The boys hugged me and got lost in the crowd.


“I learned that you should feel when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountain top, but like child stringing beads in kindergarten, - happy, absorbed and quietly putting one bead on after another."

-Brenda Ueland

15 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

AAhh those are the best years of life...

7:12 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

how cute,
nothing as sweet and innocnet as a kindergardner..

7:32 PM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

SO STINKIN CUTE! I refuse to believe my daughter will be in kindergarten next year.

nope. not my child. she's is NOT growing up.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

awesome quote! lol at Ms. Retardo! They prob said it innocently too.. bless their hearts :) and bless you for getting them to where they needed to be.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Aisha..

YES! He said it so seriously, like he was saying her name correctly, lol!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

How sweet of you to help them... I hope if I am still working part-time when Baby Girl goes to Kindergarten I'll be able to volunteer at the school on my days off. My mom did that when I was in elementary school- and my bros & sis's thought it was pretty cool.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

They are men already, LOST!! How funny. And the backwards shirt. Priceless.

9:37 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

That is so cute! I can't belive my little guy will start kindergarten this September. Unbelievable.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

Im living those days now! Its the best!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Mrs. Retardo! I love it.

7:48 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

I have a five year old and it just floors me with the information that he comes up with and the questions that arrise. I think to myself that he's not old enough to know this kind of stuff nor should he care. But somehow he gets all this information in his head and it stays there until he can question why.
They are so interesting at this age.

Speaking of the backward shirt. Mine could care less if he remembers to zip up his pants or even snap them shut. Oh my !

9:16 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

:P *non-informative comment*

i'm just having fun reading your posts :P

9:32 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

lol- i got one of those thousand kinderdarteners at home. :)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Laney said...

The backward shirt cracked me up!:-)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

That was great ... thanks for sharing. What a wonderful place to work. take care, Meow

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter