Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Gift

Typically, I'm not one that takes things for granted. I make a conscious effort to enjoy everyday, regardless of the stresses and make time for people. All people. But, like everyone else, I have my moments when I assume all is well and will continue to be just that.

Today, I had a not so gentle eye opener. After leaving the kids at school, I along with a girlfriend went to visit a mutual friend. We all, along with our families attend church together and have become quiet close, really enjoying each others company. The woman we visited, I'll call her Bonni, is not in good health. Nearly three years ago she was diagnosed with lung cancer. I don't know the exact diagnosis. I just know it's cancer, it's aggressive and it's winning. I last saw her out, at our Thanksgiving dinner at church, were I served her a meal. I feel extremely strange now, thinking that it was her last Thanksgiving dinner. What a heavy heart.

She was last seen by a doctor a week ago. A CT scan was performed, only to deliver more bad news. Not only was it ever present through out her mid, it was now in her brain. The result, 8-12 weeks left.

Our visit was lovely. It was wonderful to see her. We talked and laughed, told stories and wondered, why? It's a difficult thing to understand, one that my mind just can't being to wrestle with. Bonni has faced it all with great courage and grace. She has the character of a woman with great faith and is a shining example of what I know, I myself should be. I feel extremely privileged to have become her friend and a person I have no problem saying "I love you" to. I pray for her comfort and strength for her family as I know tougher days are ahead.

I was reminded today that life is a gift. Every morning is a present, one that is opened as the day goes on.


"No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow."

~Euripides

18 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

I've typed.. backspaced.. and typed.. and I think I just dont know what to say... There is so much sadness out there. I pray her time left on earth is as good as it can be....

I love your quote. There's one I used to use a lot "If you want to give God a good laugh... tell him your plans for future"...

Sigh... I'm so sorry to hear that.

9:36 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Your friend will be in my prayers.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

All the best to everyone. More and more stories like this are reminders for us all to live the moment. Don't go to bed mad with one another and don't say goodbye without an I love you!

6:01 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

that is an eye opener.

I am so sorry for you and your friend. Cancer is an awful monster.

I hope her last weeks are filled with joy and happiness.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Wow. What amazing strength she has. I cannot even imagine.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't know why bad things happen to good people all we know is that they do. The important thing is that we are ready to go at a moments notice. Our prayers are with Bonni and her family.
Life trully is a present a gift from God.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am sooo sorry to hear about your friend - i will surely put her in my prayers- cancer is such a wicked thing- it will be comforting to know whe will soon be in a better place- she is lucky to have you as a friend.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

sorry to hear about your friend.

i've learned that we ought to cherish every moment that we have, be it good or bad.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Anne Coleman said...

Oh goodness...every post I read about another with cancer makes me appreciate the extra time I have been given with my dad.

Life is precious and fleeting and RARE it seems some days.

((((((Hugs))))) for you, and prayers for your friend. Miracles DO happen though...

8:48 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I will remember your friend (and you) in my prayers.
Another blessing for us to count, our health and that of our families. That's something I too often take for granted.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Christie... said...

I know that the visit we had made her smile for a while and that is a blessing for her and her family.
She truly is a gift to us all.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

So sorry to hear about yor friend.
Prayers go out to her, her family and friends.

Always make sure to tell your loved ones how much they are loved and thought of everyday.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I will say a prayer for her and her family & friends.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and her family. (((hugs)))

(kinda reminds me of that songs "the Dance" and "If Tomorrow Never Comes)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh, how difficult. I can not imagine being in the position of consoling someone facing imminent death, let alon being that person. I am reading Carole Radziwell's book called "What Remains" and, among other things, it si about her husband dying of cancer. It provides an important perspective from someone very close and personal with someone who is dying.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Thank you so much for all the kind word, thoughts and prayers. They are all very much appreciated.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I am really sad and sorry to hear about your friend. Please accept my best wishes for everyone concerned.

After watching a number of friends and loved ones succumb to cancer, I have come to the conclusion that we need to live every day as if it were your last ... make the most of every moment ... make sure you tell your loved ones how much you love them - every day, often ... don't put off tomorrow what you really want to do today, when you feel you should be doing your chores, or something else boring, instead ... we need to just get on with our lives, who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Take care, stay positive.
Meow

11:11 PM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

Sorry you are going through this... I hate cancer (I don't discriminate - I hate all forms). I hope that she is able to spend as much time with family and friends LAUGHING, and smiling and enjoying the wonderful people in her life.

Will pray for peace for her, you and all involved...wish I could give you the name of a miracle doc and she could be cured...Sending you a big cyber hug!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter