Friday, August 12, 2005

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth......."

When is it OK to lie? Or is it ever? Sugar coat the unpleasantness or just out with it? And does tone matter? These are some questions that I ponder.

Personally I don't think it is ever good to lie. This does NOT mean by any stretch that I don't on occasion tell a untruth or lie to ease a situation. To spare a feeling or save a face or two. These are probably the most common causes of not telling the whole truth. Does it make it right? No! It's just easier to justify.

I imagine it depends on the person and situation on whether to sweeten the blow a little are just let them have it. I by nature don't take joy in hurting people but have been known to use my tongue as a lethal weapon. It's not a good thing but I some how feel like it's more honest. I'm angry and NOW you know it. Some say that "you can say anything you like as long as you say it in a pleasant tone of voice." OR "It's not what you said it's how you said it." Both of those hold true in some instants. The words that are said are the same ones that fall on the ear of your subject. So as much as those common little phrases may have some truth to them I still believe that the words are the things that do the damage. So regardless of the tone it STILL hurts!

A friend told me that "a hurtful word is a hurtful word." I agree! It really wouldn't matter if it was belted out in song to me or shouted from the top of their lungs in a drunken brawl. Mean is mean!

The next time you think you are doing someone a favor by talking "sweetly mean" think again. You may just be telling them they are not sharp enough to know you just verbally beat them. Now you have two for one!


Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.

- Corrie Ten Boom

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that if you add "bless her/his heart" to the end of anything, the person could care less whether they just heard the "truth". ie: "That is the ugliest little baby I have ever seen, bless his little heart"

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter