Monday, June 05, 2006

What's in a house?

Grab a duffel bag, the sleeping bags and the cooler, we're camping again. Only this time tentless. We were invited by friends to join them in their camper. It was a very relaxing, tension free weekend and very much needed. The kids rode bikes, adults took long walks, we spent time at the pool, barbequed and sat around our campfire as well as some of our neighbors. Bliss. Between the sounds of the woods and the laughter of our kids and others, it was heaven.

One neighbor was a once engineer turned singer song writer. He was great and extremely gifted. Not only was he very smart and interesting, he had fabulous humor with just enough sarcasm, that made him fun and a pleasure to talk to. But what struck me most was his passion for his music as well the wonderful relationship he has with his grown daughter, and his undying desire for simplicity. His house for the last nine years has been a thirty one year old RV that he reworked to fit his need. Although is was older and not big at all, it was beautiful.

I found myself, sitting in his camper talking about kids, interests, and life in general. While there I felt completely at home. It wasn't the beauty of the camper that gave me that feeling, it was his wonderful sense of hospitality. Even though his house is a humble RV, that small and old, it was a warm, welcoming home that made you feel comfortable and at ease.

He sings out a meager living but has a level of contentment that shames even me.

Meeting our music man friend this weekend along with reading this..."they are your home." referring to your spouse and family written by someone I've never met but think very highly of, make me certain of what I want in my house......a home!

True, we all need a structure that is known as our house. I find it unimportant, whether it's big or small, new or old, is considered by most a recreational vehicle or if it floats. What is important, it that it's made a home and not left merely a house.

12 Comments:

Blogger Foxy said...

i've always wanted to go camping in an RV- sounds like you had a great time. I totally agree with your last paragraph...so many houses lack that, amazingly enough- the warmth of a true home.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I am glad you had a great time. He sounds like the perfect host, and it sounds like he understands what makes a house a home...because the perfect kitchens, with marble countertops, walk-in closets etc, ain't got nothing on a house filled with love!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oooh, I am so jealous. I want to got camping, too !! It is too cold at the moment, but I am champing at the bit to go again. Probably won't be able to until at least October. Oh well.
I so agreee about a house and home thing. My feelings are anywhere is home so long as you are with the ones you love.
Have a great week. Take care, Meow

12:21 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love it. That was great.

However, if it don't have a shower, I ain't doin' it. :)

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post. Sounds like a really beautiful weekend. :)

7:58 AM  
Blogger hi, it's me! melissa c said...

We have always been tent campers but I have been begging for a camper! I am ready for a soft bed, hot water and a place to keep my food! I have always loved camping and sure love your blog!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

Well, Campin' is fun most of the time, the way to described it, indeed it was Heaven. I agree what you say about house 'n' home. They say "Home Sweet Home" coz it sure has all those Dreams that a house can't 've. You 're tagged, check my blog. *Smiles*

God bless you....

3:02 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

That sounds oh so nice! Can't wait till I get to go camping with all the components of my "home" soon!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

There is much to be understood from this post, thank you for it.

Finding that contendeness in how you spend your time in work and in play and in life, is a rarity to be celebrated. Those of us, that get a glimpse of that, are indeed lucky ones, those who actually live that way, are blessed.

1:07 AM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

you know...being "content" is how I described the difference between guys I've dated in the past and my husband. There was just something different when I met him, and I knew then that LOVE was being completely content. And that's the same with family.

So Sweet!!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

That's so true. I've been trying to rework my attitude at home lately. I get so caught up in doing, that I forget to be with the kids and my husband and be content. My kids need a home more than a house.

11:52 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

That sounds like you had a very nice time. Isn't it nice when you meet someone that is so easy and comfortable to be with right from the first moment that you meet them. This man sound like a very special person. Sometimes I have met people like that in the oddest places, a store or out somewhere and somehow a conversation is started and they are so nice and easy to talk to you feel like you wish that you could run into them again. I remember people like this. It's nice.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter