Friday, June 02, 2006

Choices and Change

I've heard said for the past several weeks, many very familiar phrases. "I've made my bed, now I'll lay in it," "I just don't know what the right thing is," and "Yes, I think I'm ok with my decision." None of which have been said by me but all said by three people I know very well and love very much.

What is it about making decisions that scares people to a paralyzing level? That forces them to remain where they are without change. The unknown is a very dark place I know, I've spent a lot of time there myself. But what about it, makes people behave so nonsensically? Is it our age? The fact that we don't want to make a mistake and regret the choice we've made? I mean, now that we're older and supposed to be wiser is the fear of making the wrong choice so overwhelming that we make none at all? Would we rather live in the state on limbo and uncertainty, rather then chance it?

I've heard that starting over, plays a big part in these sort of things. Is the fact that we are now considered "middle aged" weighing so heavy on our minds that we decide to hang with what we have rather than chose something different and possibly better?

I'm not at all sure our age is the bar we should be using. Certainly it's our lifes experiences we should be drawing on at these moments. The things that we've gone through should be what guides us and helps us find our way. Well, that and being honest with who we are and what we really want. Should your lifes experiences leave you short, continue to work with what you have and what you know.

So many times, people, me included, dwell on the things we don't know. What we should be, is focused on the thing we are sure of and work from there. Instead of, "I don't know this or that"....it should be, "Well, I know this, I have to have that and this is a must." Once we have a handle on what we do know, it should be easier to get started in the right direction. In the direction needed to obtain our goal.

Regardless of the situation, be it your work, relationship, family matters, geographical location, etc., if you are certain there are changes that should be made for the betterment of yourself and or family......MAKE THEM. Your age is just your age, a number that is insignificant. However, your life is yours, to live, enjoy and take full advantage of. There is no one that can do it for you. You and only you are at the wheel and able to direct the vehicle that IS your life. Sure, there are usually other people involved in your decision making that need to be considered and they should be. Still the decision needs to be made.

Break the chains of fear and step out there. Take that bit of ground you are standing on, the piece of certainty you have and in the words of Nike...."Just Do It!"

8 Comments:

Blogger Foxy said...

i totally agree with you! i have always been rather impulsive with my decisions- going with my gut rather than my mind. i can't say that its always been right, but at the same time i don't regret my decisions. life is too short, right?

7:35 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Life is very short, just go for it... good things to keep in mind.

We've had a rough few days - why is it that only the good die young?

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very good word for the day and the days ahead.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Lammy said...

This is so true... I often think about this when people get all wishywashing about getting married.
Either do it or don't!!!
:-)
OWN IT!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

Thankyou for your comments on my blog. I loved the way you write, deep visible words. Life can 've many meanings, it depends how we look at it, though the best way to go along it is so simple. *Smiles*

God bless you...

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your birthday is coming up- are we midlife crising it? your blog was very inspriing - i had to read it 2 times- hope all is well - i have missed reading your blog- have a great weekend!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Huda said...

I don't think it's the decision-making people are afraid of so much as the changes themselves because what if the change you thought would be good really isn't? What if your decision to do X doesn't turn out the way you thought it would?

Change is hard, and I think people like to stick with the familiar because even if it sucks, it's a type of suck they understand, you know? That being said, I'm with you; yes, change is hard, but sometimes change can be glorious as well!

10:32 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

I usually go with my gut on decisions. Big decisions I don't have a problem with. We have picked up and moved on a whim. It is the little decisions like where to eat I have problems with. I am such a freak.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter