Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Mommy = Super Hero

Am I wrong here? I mean anyone who is called Mommy, can also be classified as a Super Hero. Period! The do all, fix all, plan all person.

I remember the days of nursing an infant while chasing a toddler and at the same time on the phone with our insurance guy. I remember finishing folding clothes, while starting dinner with a baby on the counter in a bouncy seat and a toddle ripping my pots and pans out of the cabinets. Supermarket shopping, paper work and banking. Some of you are still in this phase. (Tighten your cape)

Now, I'm racing kids to school, doing my volunteer work, bringing Mina to dance lessons and doing Michael's homework while we wait. Hauling Michael to basketball practice while mentally planning a meal with the chicken I took out of the freezer earlier. Typically, it is all us. Sure we get helping hands once in a while but for the most part, we see to it that our family is fed, schooled, cleaned and exercised. ALL this and still a star in the bedroom. See, Super Hero!

Well, today I thought I lost my Hero status. The kids and I went to see Honey at lunch today. (He's been home ALL week, I don't know what I was thinking) We pull into the parking lot of the shop, which is in a warehouse setting. There is a tractor trailer getting ready to unload and blocking the drive. Well, no problem here. Michael sees it and shouts "Mommy, QUICK make the truck flat and we'll slide right underneath it!" Hm, if I had to power to make a Suburban flat enough to slide under a rig like that, I'd be stylin'. (Maybe I should have him cut back on his Masked Marvel Movies.)

"The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed."

- Author Unknown

*Truly, all women are Super hero's!

17 Comments:

Blogger Norman said...

Gads. I certainly don't feel like a Super Hero. I feel... tired.

I wish I could stay home with my kids!! I just had 10 days off and played 'stay-at-home' mom the entire time! I LOVED IT! I almost cried this morning when the alarm went off and I actually had to go back to my job. (..whine..)

It's funny how life throws you curves. I'd never planned on having a career. I didn't even go to college! All I've ever wanted to do was be a mom. THAT was the career choice I planned on. (and I know you know that staying at home with kids is a harder job with NO pay.. the only difference is, you don't CARE that it's harder!)

But now I'm a mom of three, who works full time outside of the home, and going to college part time, so that my full-time job will give me more money so I can send my kids to college...WHINE WHINE WHINE!!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Mise en Place said...

Well Norm, just the fact that you ARE doing all those things, makes you a Super Hero. That was exactly my point, women like you!

Well, that and me trying to flatten my truck, lol!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Christie... said...

I have found that all Moms and Step-Moms have different super powers. So next time you come across a truck that needs flattening, you may consider using your telepathic powers and calling on truck flattening Mom.

Love the pic. Looks just like you!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I just started staying home with my 1 year old two months ago and I am quickly figuring this out! I am still learning how to get everything done, but am coming pretty darn close with little help in the evenings with the babe!

Will I ever get it and figure it all out? Just when I think I have good control I lose it on something stupid! ;-) I am keeping my chin up though, because the pay is the greatest, I know my son better than ANYONE!!!

8:09 PM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

ok, so you wenrt able to do this?...your powers were just a little out of wacked...they will be back to normal soon..if not call the super mom agency and get it figured out STAT..

its so cool how kids think we can do anything...that is why I love them so;)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

You are a super hero. That I know for certain. Have a great day.

4:09 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

LOL!!! Love the picture! I think my Super Hero power is to read minds. I always know what my boys are up to before they do it.

I love the quote at the end.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I'm a TIRED Superhero. Just call me TiredWoman, Ruler of all Chaos.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

mom is the best!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

I would have thought you more of a Wonder Woman kind of super hero! ;)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

love the pic too- and yes Wonder Woman is more like it. :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

It called THE MULTI-TASK SUPER HERO we are. Like we have 8 arms just doing varies things at once. I don't think men can do this. In fact I know they can't do this.

6:47 PM  
Blogger bon said...

Honestly I have found that i am a crappy superhero... no multi-tasking awesomeness and no tidily organised dinner cleanliness for me. I do, however, have a set of working boobs and I know how to tell a rockin' story/sing a rhyme. I'm pretty great at giving a hug and sticking bandaids on owies that aren't even bleeding.
I'll settle for being a hero.

my word verification could not be more appropo "phdpbj"

1:21 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Hello-stumbled across your blog and read through and really liked it.
And I totally agree with the Super-hero Mom status- my son thinks I can cause the sun to rise and fall...LOL!

9:32 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

You are a superhero - even if you can't make the truck flat...lol

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed."

This post was so great. I still feel like I'm not doing enough. I don't do it all. Tonight, I did most of dinner but I still need him to feed the kids. But, my husband was just happy enough to have me near the kitchen. Trying. So. Hard. It sounds like you must be my idol! :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

you made me remember the superman "It's not easy to be me". Mom's are superhero's. Particularly good mom's like you.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter