Monday, November 07, 2005

A voice from home

How nice it was to hear, even though I didn't know her. See, Honey came home this afternoon with tons of real estate info. Not that we need it for anything really, he just likes to be in the "know." (he knows nothing else but he has to know this) The information was received from a realtor the he found on a sign, much like everyone does. Apparently, she was from our original part of the country, NJ and it seemed as though they had a lot in common. There was more information that needed to be exchanged, so he called her again from home, this is where I got in the act.

We are not from New Jersey, New York actually but I say close enough. As Honey carried on his conversation, there was a comfort that I quickly recognized. There were several comments made that I just couldn't let slide. Before I knew it, I was talking to her through him. You know, I would tell him something and he would relay what I said and vise versa. She was done with Honey and asked to speak to me. Ahhh, the sound. It was like music to my ears. That thick NY/NJ accent. We talked and talked, about kids, husbands, being from the Northeast and now living in the South and everything else. It was a great conversation that lasted about a half hour. By the time we hung up, I told her that I felt like I have always known her. She felt the same way.

I don't miss the state itself and certainly don't miss the winters that make me want to lock myself in a closed garage with a running car. Ugh! I do miss the type people. I know we are considered rude, loud, obnoxious and fast paced but I for the most part love that about us. We speak our mind, love to laugh and most of all we just GET it. Living Southward for the past ten years my Bronx Baby and I have had to learn a completely new way of life. I don't mind it, it's actually very nice, just different. Things here are very slow paced. That, I'm still adjusting to. I have people tell me very often that I must learn to talk lower and slower, lol! I just don't know how to do that.

I truly love where I live and it's a beautiful place to raise a family. I wouldn't want to be living anywhere else BUT I do love coming across people that though no longer there still call the North home.

9 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I came from Jersey and now I am in CT. I just love being in the New England area. I just need my four seasons. My mother has a house in Georgia. It is beautiful down there and Savannah is gorgeous.

6:22 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

I am jelous you live in the south..I moved from Michigan to freaking Minnesotta..who the hell does that?? oh yeah my hubbby..for a job..oh well, we are moving south soon though..next year or two.

and i will be locking myslef in the garge with car running soon...i hate winter..i got your back on that one for sure:-)

7:05 AM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

My wig distributor is in NYC. I call and his accent is so thick and fast that I tell him I have to stop to process what he said! He laughs at me. I bet he gets off the phone with me and says "GD hicks!"

Being from Utah the overall tone in winter is "SKI UTAH!" I hate snow...I hate it hate it hate it. I don't want to ski Utah ever! I don't mind the cold but I hate snow. Where I live in NV now it gets cold and we get small storms on their way into Utah. The storms know to wait to dump all that snow all over SLC and NOT on me. Thank you geography.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

wow... even someone like me can feel the warmth and the sense of belonging by just reading your post =)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

its funny- this has been the great debate between me and my hubby when we were trying to figure out if we should stay here (ny) or go back to my home (va)..we met in va-he says he hates the people cuz they are "plastic"..even tho he fell in love with one of these "plastic" people...lol

then when i moved up here i realized what he meant- beneath the rude and the crude there are some really cool people here- the only word i can use to describe.

but nonetheless, due to my fam and those winters that make you want to kill yourself..i won! lol

i will miss it here tho- for the same reasons u describe. oh well, guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Once upon a time there was a lucky girl named Mama Duck who lived in Texas. She grew up in the North, but loved her new home and felt at peace. Then one day she was sucked back to the Lank of Snow and Cheese where she sits locked in a chamber for many months out of the year while it snows.

She hates the Land of Snow and Cheese and would give anything to be back home in Texas.

The end.

PS I'm glad that you have adjusted to your new home! If you feel like you need some snow or slucky ice to feel at home let me know, there will be an abundance here in a month.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Laney said...

Whadda mean we're rude? We're not rude and we're certainly not LOUD! Obnoxious, alright, I'll give you that one!LOL

The funniest part of your post is, we can't stand all of the New Yorkers who are moving to Jersey! They think they are living in the freakin' country, oy! No talk about loud, sheesh!

We are native NewJerseyans who can't wait to get out of here. It has become so incredibly expensive to live here, it's not funny. That's why we want to move down south. (fingers crossed!)

12:26 PM  
Blogger The Daily Rant said...

New York ROCKS!

Snow RULES!

Texas is the worst place on the FACE of the planet. (Read MY blog about that hateful state.)

Vicki is my best friend and she will always be (unless of course, she moves to Texas, then the position is open....)

The South is beautiful but very HOT. The west is horrible and also VERY hot. Four seasons (REAL seasons - not what people out west call seasons) is the only way to go.

I travel all over the country daily (except when I'm here in the South with my best friend) and I vote for the snow and the four seasons.

And, as a Native New Yorker - born in the Bronx and raised in the Catskills....I have a fondness for all things New York and all things NorthEast....even the weather, rude people and loud voices!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Berry Chick said...

I love it here in Texas but every now and then something triggers memories of Wisconsin and I get so homesick- not for the weather but for the familiar feelings of home!!

Then I visit and get it out of my system for awhile
hahaha

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter