Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Tag catch up!

Name five foods, dishes or otherwise, that were a part of your childhood, and that you sometimes miss when nostalgia gets to you..."

Hm, not only was my Mom a fabulous cook, she was an even better all around homemaker. There are so many things I remember about my childhood that my Mother made so special. She was/is creative, funny, warm and extremely welcoming to ALL. Lets see, food wise some of the things I remember :

Thanksgiving was always a wonderful time for our family. Lots of warmth, laughter and good food. (plenty of food) Trying to recall, I would have to say that my Mom's stuffing was the best thing on the table. It was just so yummy, I mean the flavor was amazing and she didn't put in the yack body parts of the bird, whew!

Coffee cake. Need I say more? My Mothers coffee cake should have been patented and marketed, it was that good. The body of the cake was dense but moist, and had the most wonderfully buttery flavor. The TOP! Please, I can't even tell you how great IT was. I remember the smell of the cake floating through the house, down the hall and rifling right up my nostrils. Even though I had no intentions of getting out of bed, I couldn't help myself. Just like in the cartoons, the visible smell would make a lasso, tie itself around me and haul me out of a very warm bed. It dragged me back down the hall and planted me there at our kitchen counter. Very much worth getting up for.

Next and not so fab. in and of itself, but I loved the jello desserts my Mom would make. Granted it's just jello BUT, with a loving hand and her best parfait glasses she would whip up the most beautiful little treats for us all after dinner. They always made me feel like we were so special. (I know we were/are) Just that she took the time to make each one. Not just throwing a blob of jello in a bowl, covering it with topping and tossing it in front of us. I just remember sitting there with a towering glass of prettiness in front of me, and that is was prepared so lovingly by Mom.

Something to eat? Not so much. Homemade play-dough. Sure we had tons of the store bought stuff, but it just wasn't the same. Being raise in the Northeast, we had our share of cold and rainy or snowy days. I can remember specifically requesting that Mom make us some dough, and would whip up a batch as us older ones sat waiting patiently. What fun!

NO! Not that for dinner. Just because this is supposed to be about things that were great, I had to throw this in. The meal that would cause me to sit at the table for hours was liver and spinach. Holy COW! What was this woman thinking with such a dinner? There were four of us, and this is what she created. To this day, thirty some odd years later, I still have to flee the area if either are being prepared. YACK!!

So, there are my five. Hope you have enjoyed it.

Mom, thanks for making all the simple things so very special. I knew how to be a wife and Mother long before I became either because I was lead by a wonderful example of both. I love you!

9 Comments:

Blogger cubmommy said...

What great memories you have of your youth. Your post is very sweet and a nice tribute to your mom.

I wish I had sweet memories like yours. I am jealous!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

i just had coffee cake this morning! hehe..but i'm sure it was nothing like your mom's. very nice post. :)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Hasan Mubarak said...

Am I the only one who cannot help doing the yum-yum thing after reading this post??

Good cooking is one attribute common with all mothers and my mom is no exception..

9:22 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

your mohters coffee cake sounds terrific..i am hungry now and have nothing good to eat..LOL

have a good day:-)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Those are great! What a great "tag" idea.

My favorite is my mom's homemade tortilla's. To this day, they are my favorite!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Seems as though we both have Mother's that cooked. Sorry that I made you do something with this. Did you tag other people into doing this?

11:52 AM  
Blogger Christie... said...

That is the sweetest post and what a tribute to your Mother. You describe things so vividly that I'm almost in the bed waiting for the lasso!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I NOT ONLY REMEMBER HOW GOOD OF A COOK YOUR MOM WAS - I REMEMBER HOW NICE AND CLEAN AND COMFORTABLE IT WAS TO GO TO YOUR HOUSE- YOUR MOM WAS ALWAYS WELCOMING AND SWEET- AND YES WE WERE TERRORERS. ITS NICE TO GO BACK AND VISIT OUR CHILDHOODS NOW AND THEN - I DO REMEMBER UP NORTH BAR-BAQUE-ING OUTSIDE /SWIMMING IN THE POOL AND THEN TRYING TO SLEEP 7 OF US ON YOUR PULL OUT SOFA- MEMORIES!!!ALL IN ALL YOUR MOM IS ONE SPECIAL LADY AND YOU ARE A LUCKY PERSON (AND ME TOO) TO HAVE HER IN YOUR LIFE.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vic thanks for the tribute, it made all those cold mornings in Accord worth while. We do have wonderful memories of our home back in NY. You are a wonderful mom and wife just as I knew you would be. I never saw anyone so happy to be having babies as you were. Keep up the good work I am proud of you. Much love always.

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter