Friday, November 04, 2005

Do ya know what I'm sayin'?

Please. I don't even know what I'm saying and I have the book. A book of Ozark sayings, that God help me I think these people really use. I have gone through a couple pages (mostly because that was all I could handle) and found some and thought I would see just how much Ozarkinese you know. Ready? Here goes.

Each question will have a correct answer.

1. "I'll jest dance with who brung me."
a) stick with my prior decision
b) stay with current Boe

2. "I cain't turn off work like I used to."
a) gear down
b) accomplish as much

3. "She looks like a bale of hay that's had it's string busted."
a) spread out some/pregnant
b) is a complete wreck

4. "She's gotta' rear end like a forty dollar mule."
a) nice butt
b) wide load

5. "That feller is too narrow 'tween th' eyes."
a) has a very thin face
b) can't be trusted

6. "She's awful persnickety."
a) very fussy
b) picky

7. "You're actin' awful twittle-pated."
a) confused
b) silly

8. "I'm dryer'n a popcorn fart."
a) hot
b) thirsty

9. "We jawed up a patch."
a) talked a lot
b) eat a bunch

10. "I've got twinges in m' hinges."
a) arthritis
b) sore muscles


OK, I'll stop the torture, lol. I will be sure to post the correct answers for those of you who are interested in taking up a new language. (I will post them in your blogs comments)

"All slang is metaphor, and all metaphor is poetry."

-Gilbert Keith Chesterton

17 Comments:

Blogger Misty said...

ok.....
i tried to tap into my deep and burried "holler" knowledge,so how did i do?
A
A
B
B
B
B
A
B
A
A

3:51 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

I am from Southern Illinois and we have our own what I call hillbilly language. Here are my answers let me know how I did.
B
B
B
B
B
B
A
B
A
A

6:13 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

"I'm dryer'n a popcorn fart."

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahaha!!!!

Sorry. Had to.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Aud*2020 said...

A
B
B
A
B
B
A
B
A
B

The sad thing will be if I get all these right!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Okay, I thought I was on another planet reading this stuff.

1. A
2. B
3. B
4. B
5. B
6. A
7. B
8. A
9. A
10.B

8:58 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Okay, seriously now:
1. A
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. B
6. A
7. B
8. B
9. A
10.A

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

ok.. i've totally no idea what is ozark. living on the OTHER side of the world doesnt help either, hehehehehe....

my answers:
1. A
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. B
6. A
7. B
8. A
9. A
10.B

Did I get an A+ ? :P

11:54 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

not sure of the answers but "shes got a rear end like a 40 dollar mule" had me in stiches

or something like that..LOL

1:06 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

I told you I had hillbilly roots. LOL! pretty scary I knew a lot.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Hasan Mubarak said...

I really don't have any idea of these wisked slangs...

Waiting for the answers...

3:04 PM  
Blogger Hasan Mubarak said...

Answers are very much interesting...

Now, I have a bit of knowledge about slangolingo...

3:30 PM  
Blogger Laney said...

Oh.my.gosh! That was hilarious!!!

Here goes:
1.a
2.a
3.a
4.b
5.b
6.a
7.b
8.b
9.a
10.a

Golly, I *hope* I got some right, LOL!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Christie... said...

I seem to be twittle-pated!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Those are some good ones (I'm not answering b/c that's like asking someone to define things such as "I'm going to the bathroom" or "I'd like another beer"...they seem straight forward to me.

Here are some of my favorites that you missed:
"That's diggin' where there's taters" and "That dog won't hunt!"

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! Okay, here's my nest shot...
A
B
B
B
B
B
A
B
B
B

6:15 PM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

okay let's hear the answers...

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have my guesses too. You know, I always love your quotes. :)

In the South, I heard "you can't get blood from a turnip." Which meant when we were collecting customers' payments and they didn't have the cash to pay . . . well, you can't get blood from a turnip." Weird, right? haha :)

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter