Monday, February 13, 2006

One step forward and two steps back

Pushing the grocery cart is always a treat for both my kids. Why this is, I have no idea. This trip it was Michaels turn and he was happy to do it, even though we only had to pick up a few things.

The items are being checked out and I ask my driver to please return the cart to where it belonged. He was happy to oblige. When he finished, he bounded back to where I was, all smiles. He was happy to report the while returning the cart he had asked a woman twice, "please excuse me." Apparently, he couldn't get around her. I was digging through my wallet, so I didn't say anything to him. I did however, shoot him a quick smile and a wink. Just as we were getting ready to leave I told him I was so proud of him for using good manners. He said "Thank you Mommy." Just at that moment he pointed and said "That OLD lady over there said that I had good manners too."

OMGosh! I quickly turned to look were he was pointing. Thank goodness this woman was not aware the she was the subject of our conversation. I grabbed Michael's finger and tell him not to point, and that he should NEVER call a lady old because it wasn't good manners. Well, one out of three ain't bad.

“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use."

-Emily Post

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are so honest, aren't they? And they see things so differently.

Oh, to be a child again.

9:31 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

LOL! Kids are very honest. He does have good manners though.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

I used to LOVE driving the cart.. actually still do! :)

6:48 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

LOL- you're right, one out of 3 ain't so bad. I find that my kids have better manners than the adults here in NY anyway...haha

7:12 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Well, I always figure we're ALL old compared to them, right? So, we just have to remember that and not take it as an insult!
Easier said than done.

7:12 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

Once I told my (at that time 4 year old) 5 year old not to point at people. I'm thinking that he had a conversation with his big sister and she told him that was his pointing finger. Cause the next time he pointed at someone he used his middle finger. REAL good eh?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Aisha said...

LOL... kids say the darndest things! :) I used to love pushing the cart too, my mom would have us all have turns depending on what day we went with them if it was on a M/W was me, T/TH was my brother and weekends was my youngest brother. LOL. We have issues. Even now if I go with my husband I have a hard time letting him push the cart. :)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh, he was trying so hard! My 14 month old says "Cracker PEASE!" Which I was so proud of then in church yesterday when I said Shhhh, he yelled NO NO NO and just giggled away! Perfect.

2:03 PM  
Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

I moved from carts to big trucks :-}

I love the honesty of kids!

5:14 PM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

One time when I was very young...my sister and I were at the grocery store with my mom, and my sister had noticed a lady with an exceedingly larger rear sector and she was trying to point it out to my mom, who had rather selective hearing. Finally, my sister yelled, loud enough for my mom and the woman to hear, and much to my mother embarrassment, "MOM! That lady has a FAT butt!"

10:06 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love kids and their frank comments! It sounds like you are raising a wonderfully polite young man.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter