Friday, February 24, 2006

"Hey good lookin', what ya got cookin'?"

The answer, absolutely NOTHING! I just bends my brain thinking about these people that must have the state of the art everything. In this particular case, kitchens, just because that's what Honey does. He designs, builds and installs these amazing and beautiful cabinet. He has been in several magazines and made the cover of one, been in the Parade of Homes on more then one occasion and has been featured in many articles elsewhere.



He does this and for whom? For the people that don't step foot in their kitchen to do anything, other than look in their huge Subzero refrigerator which is, I'm sure empty. To "maybe" boil water for something, (who knows what) on their 8 burner Viking stove or just to turn the light on in one of their three ovens they have hanging out of the wall. All of which will be found cold and empty with the exception of maybe the instruction booklet on the rack. Honey actually returned to a home on the customers request to adjust something they had installed, after a 10 month period. On his arrival, he opens a cabinet door to find what, canned goods, dishes, glasses, video tapes, crayons, phone books, anything? NO!!!! He found saw dust that was there as a result of the installation along with a gum wrapper. SAW DUST!!!! These people after a 10 month period didn't even use the kitchen enough to find it necessary to ever clean the cabinet. Shame on them!!!

I was looking in a magazine called "Greater Northeast Houses & Homes" and came across this article entitled "High Performance Cabinets." Here is just a part of what it said:


For people to surround themselves with the elegant beauty of these type cabinets and appliances for the purpose of exhibiting their wealth, is ridiculously stupid and very shallow.

Now, for those people that have these very same kitchens and USE them with their families on a daily basis, entertain friends, have social events and parties I say more power to them. They have what they need to maintain their lifestyle at home. I mean I for one would be saying "I'm going to their house!"


















“Wealth is a tool of freedom, but the pursuit of wealth is the way to slavery."

-Frank Herbert

22 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Amen, sister!

(thanks for visiting my blog. I love yours!)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Well said. VERY well said. Does it annoy your husband that he knows how little what he's doing is actually going to be put to practical use?

Btw- the tiles in the kitchen of the house on the bottom picture are the same tiles I have! :) I've never seem anywhere else. Cool:)

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sad. Those beautiful kitchens going to waste. Now, I just hope that you have beautiful cabinets too. :) As for me, we just did the whole cabinet refacing--not too fancy but in our price range. I'm happy with the look--I'm sure my husband would be happier if I cooked in it more though. :)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

wow. I am always amazed by that. The kitchens always look amazingly clean on mtv's "cribs"..it is pretty shallow!!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

I used to be of the former. It was shallow. And yet I miss it sort of. Money brings a loneliness of it's own. I love the last one though!!! Awesome.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I completely agree with you...
Now where's the photo of your kitchen?

5:24 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

What a great post! DH and I will be building our "dream home" within the next year and the kitchen is my #1 priority. I want many of the things you listed, but plan on using it. Loo loves to help my cook (even if it's Hamburger Helper), we even have aprons!

I totally agree that the kitchen is the focal point of any family and want one that I am proud of. We all constantly sit on the counters, have friends overflowing from it, and love to be in our current one.

Too bad you Hubby doesn't live closer to us :) Take care and have a great weekend!

5:43 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

I'd love to have a kitchen like that. Cool designs. Ya, we pretty much do most of the hanging out in our kitchen. Everything gets stacked up in there and on the kitchen table. I've got kids drawing taped everywhere on display. Not much like these kitchens.
So whats your kitchen look like? Do you get these cool looks since your husband is the expert?

6:37 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Reminds me of the celebrity kitchens I see on MTV 'Cribs'. They'll have these huge subzero fridges filled with just beer.

6:45 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

That is pretty shallow. If I had a kitchen like that I would learn to cook.

Pretty cool that your husband has been featured in a magazine!

MTV Cribs don't forget the Cristal Chanpagne in those fridges

6:55 AM  
Blogger Randi said...

My hubby is a ceramic tile contractor and he gets to work in some beautiful houses. He finds that many of the "families" that build these houses are, literally, never there, except at night to sleep. They build a castle and leave it empty. Go figure!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Fern Bourrie said...

LOL...I had to laugh at this because my cousin recently had her kitchen done. It's beautiful....gorgeous, just like those pictures that you posted!!! And she doesn't cook!!! It's all fast food, take out, open a can, etc. Talk about a waste of money!!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Don't forget - they also step into the kitchen to tell their 3 maids what to do for the day!! :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

I suddenly find your husband extremely sexy.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Lala's world said...

I would love to have a kitchen like that!! and have the $$ not to have to cook myself!! actually I like cooking....just not the cleaning up after!!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure wish I could aford to fly this genious to North Carolina for him to give my small kitchen a face lift. Maybe some day???

All my love to honey he is one of my favorite people.

Guess who?

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deja vu!! am i going mad or have u blogged and put these pictures up before?!?

this is bongi_amma by the way, my blogger name woint come up :/

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

"Honey" does fab work!! I would die for anyone of those kitchens...

1:25 PM  
Blogger bon said...

I am with Becky the AMHW... yer husband is hott, hott, HOTT!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Foxy said...

what beauties...i would LOVE a kitchen like that, any of them would work!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Wow - how could one have a kitchen like that an not use it? I would love to have any of those... I like the tile, I like the island... what a waste!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he do all those? They are beautiful.

A status symbol kitchen....huh.

I heard the Wolfe ovens are the best. Does that make me know my stuff? :0)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter