Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A simple thing

I have seen this little boy many times so far through out the school year. This young man, has a left arm that was never fully developed. It stops just at the elbow with some very small finger like stubs at the end. I never really gave him a lot of thought and I've always treated him like everyone else. Mostly, because he is. I'd be telling a fib if I said he didn't pull at my heart just a little.

While in the library Friday, Mina for what ever reason noticed him for the first time. After he left the room, she had a million questions, all of which I didn't have the answers to....

Mina: "Mommy, why is his arm like that?"

Me: "Honey, I don't know." "That is how he was born, but that doesn't make him any less special."

Mina: "I know, but will his arm ever grow like mine is?"

Me: "No, that is the way it will always be."

Mina: "Really, even when he's big like you, he won't have all of his arm?"

Me: "No. He will grow up but his arm will never finish growing."

Mina: "Oh Mommy, then he will NEVER be able to give a hug."

Me: "Baby, yes he will, they will just feel a little different than your hugs, but they will be just as great."

I suddenly felt sad and proud all at the same time. I thought, "Man, of all the thing that he won't be able to do "so called" normally, like wear a ball mitt, do a hand stand, hold the handle bars on his bike, hand walk across the monkey bars or even raise that hand in class........Mina thought of him being unable to give a hug. A simple thing, yet so VERY important, even in the eyes of a child.

Once she realized what she had said, she looked up at me, threw her arms around my hips and gave me the tightest squeeze. I immediately, scooped her up and just held her without saying another word.


"Sometimes it's better to put love into hugs than to put it into words."

~Author Unknown

18 Comments:

Blogger Lala's world said...

oh wow love that!!
I have a close friend who's daughter has radio clubed hand....sounds like what that little boy has. Her arm is not that bad and her fingers are long which was a miracle! she is a darling and she gives hug, just not as tight.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow! Your daughter is so sweet! Its amazing what kids can open our eyes to.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Just Passing By said...

Thru the eyes of a child. Simly beautiful. You have done well.

9:20 PM  
Blogger The Daily Rant said...

OMG. I love Mina. LOVE her. I can't wait to hug her with my stubby little arms. That child is a GEM!!! I miss her so much!!!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

you are one such compassionate mom in this world :)

9:41 PM  
Blogger bon said...

sniffle! Dang, too bad the kiddos are all asleep or I'd go give them some huggin'!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Compassion; this is one of the greatest gifts we can give to our children; so great...

6:13 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

You're making me cry too early on a Tuesday morning.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

What a very sweet girl you have!!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

Im reaching for the tissue..

7:42 AM  
Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

Sounds like your little lady has it together mom! The power of a hug........i love it:-}

7:50 AM  
Blogger sarahgrace said...

Aaaaw! Tears in my eyes...

Wish we could remain that simple and innocent forever.

8:22 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

That is so sweet!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love Mina. Now I'm teary eyed and home alone. I can't wait to pick Graham up from school and give him a hug.

Thanks for the wonderful reminder Mina.

9:16 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

teary eyed... damn it...

Hugging baby girl... thank you Mina for the reminder of what is so important in life.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I am welling up . . . beautiful post. Won't it be great if we could all see these through the innocent eyes of a child more often.

Give her lots of hugs!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Foxy said...

very sweet- great reminder of what is important after all...

11:31 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

WOW - kids can sure knock you down from the hard world into the land of love and sympathy without even a blink, can't they. It's almost like they know just what to say at the perfect moment to get you to think of things in a different way.
Got to love them ! I think they keep us young too.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter