Thursday, September 08, 2005

My volunteer and me

School is in session! For the past week or so I have been spending lots of time in my son's school library. This year it being the first year it has seen students there are a lot of things that are unfinished. I've offered my time anytime but explained that I have a four year old that will be accompanying me should me services be requested. There was no problem with that at all, they were happy to have us both.

Books, books and more books! We stamped, moved, shelved, labeled, you name it and we did it, Mina and me. I'm convinced that Mina is four going on nine or even ten. While there I was informed on how kids should look at books on the shelves, how they are to return them and check them out. Well, I over hear my little librarian explaining to a student how exactly they are to remove books from the shelf and bring them for check out. The student does as she instructed and happily leaves the library....lol!

Several hours pass and there is a request made to use the restroom. Just because she has proven her amazing ability to navigate and handle herself I allow her to go, ALONE. (on her request) Off she scampers but is careful not to run considering I have gone over and over and over that with her. I continue on with my mission of the moment, oh and did I mention that it involved books? I realize that ample time has lapsed for Mina to have gone to the restroom, wash her hands, brush her teeth even get a facial (cucumbers and all), hm? I wander down the hall and what do I see? There she is, standing at the bathroom entrance with her foot against the wall chatting with three other girls. (she is NOT even a student!!) I walk up to her coolly, well has coolly as a Mother can in this situation without causing embarrassment and asked her what she was doing. She calmly states "I'm talking to my friends Mommy." I'm thinking "Friends, in 6 minutes you have decided that they are your friends?" I asked "did you wash your hands yet?" Her answer was no with a tone that she was clearly feeling rushed. I instructed her to finish what she needed to do and come back to the library right away. "OK Mommy!"

More time then should have went by before I hear her flying down the hall. As she screams to a stop at the door of the library she quickly composes herself and comes in. I heard, along with everyone else in the building the sound of her flip flops racing down the corridor. I know she is very well aware of the running rule in school so I asked her, "Mina were you just running down the hall?" With this look of "yikes" on her face she says "No Mommy, it wasn't me it was my flip flops." Did you EVER??





After a long day at the library and running the halls.

Take notice of her volunteer stick!

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

-John Wooden

3 Comments:

Blogger momma of 2 said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, stop by anytime...

You little Mina is just a cutie - she's gonna be a smart one - just watch! I loved how she made "friends" in less than 6 minutes! How awesome is that?

5:02 AM  
Blogger The Daily Rant said...

I miss Mina Bean!!! I wish I was there just to watch her sleep. Make sure you tell her that I think of her a MILLION times a day!! Love you all. Miss you. See you soon.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - what a sweetheart!

I'm not sure if I could volunteer in a library. I'd probably get in trouble for doing more reading than helping :o)

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter